The Academy of Theatre Arts seeks Guest Teaching Artists to join our team. Resumes are accepted and reviewed throughout the season for our onsite and outreach programming.
Who Are We?
The Academy of Theatre Arts believes the classroom is a place to learn, grow and take risks! We celebrate the process of learning and are interested in what happens along the way as skills are gained and honed. With this focus on the education experience, our classes take place in rehearsal halls and technical shops, not on stages. We celebrate that engagement and success looks different for each student and strive to supply students with diverse source material with a larger worldview and make intentional choices in our practices to be a welcome space for people of all ability, ethnicity, economic status, sexual orientations, and gender identities.
Artists should have experience in the theatre arts (acting, singing, dancing, crafting) and a passion for helping others to grow their theatrical skills. Teaching artists create individualized lesson plans the meet the intended learning outcome for a specific class, camp or workshop, and actively engage their students in the process of risk-taking, self-reflection and growth.
- Plan appropriate lessons to meet he needs and interests of the students within the curriculum outline and learning outcome expectations provided by the Academy
- Ensure materials used in class are reflective of a diverse community
- Use age-appropriate instructional strategies to achieve curriculum goals
- Include multi-sensory teaching strategies
- Encourage students to express their personalities and thoughts through the creative process
- Set and maintain acceptable standards
Skills and Experience:
- Previous theatre or educational experience
- Demonstrates the ability to make decisions, take action and follow task to completion
- Experience working with students similar in age to class hired to teach
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- 18 years of age or older
- Applicants will be required to submit to a criminal background check.
- A degree in Theatre, Theatre Education, Education, or related discipline
- Previous teaching experience
Steps to Apply:
- Email letter of interest, resume and availability to: AMiller@KazooCivic.com
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The Kalamazoo Civic Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment that inspires all individuals and is free of discrimination and harassment.